This manuscript is an elegantly calligraphed and illuminated large-format codex of the Quran. It was made for the library of the Mamluk official Aytimish al-Bajāsī (d. 802 AH / 1400 CE) that was established at the Bāb al-Wazīr in Cairo. The manuscript contains verses 142-252 from chapter 2 (Sūrat al-baqara). It is volume two (al-juz’ al-thānī) of a set which originally had 30 volumes. The decorated binding is contemporary with the fourteenth-century text block.
This page shows five lines of vocalized muhaqqaq script in black ink.
This illuminated titlepiece contains a bequest (waqf) statement in the name of the Mamluk Amīr Aytimish (d.802 AH / 1400 CE) indicating that the manuscript was for the library of the Madrasa established at the Bāb al-Wazīr of Cairo (Egypt).